Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Four Ladies of Judges - Part I Introduction


The Four Ladies of the Book of Judges #1

Introduction

Written by Dan McDonald

 

            As a young person I was wary of the New Testament.  People in my church liked to tell how different the New Testament was from the Old.  I reasoned that if God had spoken through the Old and the New was contradictory, then the New was suspect.  So I read the Old three or four times before ever reading the New.  Then I read the Sermon on the Mount and saw one who dealt with truth as if he were one of the prophets.  Then I read the New Testament.  I came to St. Augustine’s conclusion:  “The Old Testament is the New concealed and the New Testament is the old revealed.”  Since then I have loved to see the Old Testament point to the new, and the New Testament fulfill the Old.  That is part of why I want to write about four ladies from the Book of Judges who point the way to Jesus Christ.

            I write pragmatically also.  I have two groups of friends these days.  They often believe differently.  I have no desire to choose one group of these friends and leave the others behind.  One set of friends, largely on my Facebook page, are boomers and a bit younger than boomers; who are largely conservative, traditionalist, and patriarchal in understanding life.  The other groups of friends, largely on Twitter are millennial and a little older; and largely describe themselves as progressive, feminist, and also as Christian. They complain of their wounds from growing up in conservative Evangelical churches where they came to feel that their humanity was squeezed, constricted, and hindered.  Maybe in some things they just need to live longer to see things differently.  But sometimes when I read truly articulate expressions of their pain I realize that I felt the same pains enough to feel that they are articulating truth about the inheritance they received from the very movement that I have been associated with most of my life.  The fact, that these young people fail to articulate their wounds in Bible chapter and verse, doesn’t mean their sufferings are not real.  We, who are older and can recite Scripture backwards and forwards should not imagine that because we can hang a verse on something means therefore that we are necessarily right . . . the Pharisees could do the same thing.  The fact that the ones full of pain cannot describe their pain in Biblical texts may not mean they are any more condemned in their circumstances than were those who Jesus gathered around himself, those of whom the religious of Jesus’ day often regarded with contempt.

            But mostly as I look at my two groups of friends I don’t want to treat either group as outside of the merciful reach of our Lord Jesus Christ.  I want to bring some of these passages of Scriptures to both groups of my friends and hope that they will discover that the Scriptures reveal that their perspectives may not be mutually exclusive.  In fact I sort of think that for Christianity to move forward in a healthy manner it will take the boomer with his traditional patriarchal way to discover a way to meet the millennial with their progressive feminist tendencies to discover if perhaps the Bible doesn’t present a case for both viewpoints.  Perhaps these texts that we will look at will speak simultaneously to both groups.  It seems to me that the Book of Judges was a book that looked at a most painful time in Israelite history.  On one hand its last verse suggested that a patriarchal answer was needed to meet Israel’s dilemma.  It described how the period of the Judges was desperate because “In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did what was right in his own eyes.”  But when you look for solutions and hope in the words of the Book of Judges the hope of the book, is in my view presented through four very important stories of women in the Book of Judges.  These four women represent pictures of the coming Christ that are as clear when they are taken together as they are often deeply disturbing when contemplated.    For the truth of the Gospel is that as beautiful as the Gospel is, it is also deeply disturbing.  For I see Christ presented as fully in the lives of Deborah, Jael, Jephthah’s daughter, and an unnamed Levite’s concubine as in any heroic patriarch of the Old Testament.  Those will be the stories that I shall present both to encourage and disturb those who read these blogs.

            In the process I hope we can begin to view the Bible not as patriarchal or feminist as if we could only learn its message when such titles came into common use.  Rather I hope we can learn that from the beginning the Gospel was predicted as the seed of woman born into humankind to crush the head of the serpent and to gain redemption at the last for humankind.  He would be called among other things, “wonderful, counselor, the everlasting father” and he would be born of woman.  Let therefore everyone of a patriarchal mindset understand that true patriarchy is to be fulfilled in Christ reigning for the good of mankind in the understanding of the fullness of Deity and the fullness of humanity having learned obedience through suffering that he might secure the good of men and women who suffer.  Let every feminist anchor their understanding in that the Gospel reveals the glory of womanhood to be the bearing forth of God into this world in human flesh.  This is accomplished figuratively in presenting Christ to the world in life and word.  This is the story the ancient church rejoiced in when it proclaimed the truth of “Theotokos” (literally God-bearer) as well as the truth of Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

 

No comments: