Monday, August 17, 2015

Morrie's Little Yellow Bird







The following poem is in tribute to Morrie Schwartz and Tuesdays with Morrie:

I wrote an earlier blog, here, on my experience watching a made for TV version of the book.


 


Written by the Panhandling Philosopher
a beggar of ideas to be shared with beggars:


 


Morrie’s Little Yellow Bird



Photo downloaded from Shutterstock




Morrie’s yellow bird flew by,
The one that tells Buddhists
If this is the day they will die
I wondered with a sigh
Is this the day I will die?




Little yellow bird asked “why?”
If this is the day you will die
What would you this day try
Would it be an experience?

Or say to someone good-bye?




Little bird said and if five years
Would you shed fewer tears?
Would you plan some great deed
You have always thought dear
But failed to do for time and fear?




If I said it would be twenty years
Would you imagine a long life
with all the time in the world?
Or realize that is but a few days
Far too few to coast or court strife!


Morrie’s little bird said to me
Without knowing count your days
Do first what matters if this is the day
Then make plans for a five year stay.
But don’t forget to fly beneath the rays.




Little bird sitting on my shoulder said
I must be on my way, I must fly
I began to want to sigh and cry
Then said he looking me in the eye
You’ll see me the day you die.




I said as he turned and flew away
I’ll imagine you with me each day
I’ll ask you is this the day
And if I imagine you here to stay
Then I will try to count my days.

No comments: