Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Boomer & Millennial II - Reply to Kate Schell on Adam's Missing Rib


Boomer and Millennial:

In Conflict or Partnership

Part Two: Review of a Blog by Kate Schell

Millennials and Adam’s Missing Rib

Written by Dan McDonald

 

            A few days ago I wrote a blog in response to a blog written by Rachel Held Evans on why Millennials were leaving the church.  My blog wasn’t a review and neither was it a critique.  I don’t know how to label the genre of my response.  I wrote in response because I was a boomer who liked what she had to say.  Also I was a boomer who needed to hear what she had to say.  I found that a lot of the Millennial generation expressing why their generation was leaving the church were connected to Evangelicalism.  I am an Evangelical.  In recent years I have moved theologically from being a Baptist to a few months within Presbyterianism to the last several years within a conservative Anglican parish, slightly more Anglo-Catholic than Evangelical, but a place where an Evangelical can still call home.  In the process I have had to rethink a lot of things.  So when a young adult raised in Evangelicalism becomes an adult and has to rethink a lot of things, I understand that we share a sense of doubt in the things you doubt from an understanding one once had and hope that perhaps we are in the process finding something better.  Is the new a better to be proscribed to every one?  Or is the new something we feel like is the answer for an individual but not something I am quite ready to commend to all.  Doubt and hope mix with humility.  Any soul that has doubted after being firmly convinced in something has a residual pain from his or her doubting.  One cannot go through doubt, or at least should not be able to do so and come out on the other side glib in announcing, “I have just found the answer to my every theological problem.”  I might sometimes feel that I have found some of the answer but because I have doubted I am much less prone to declare that now I have the answer that you need.  We boomers often approached faith with a slogan that said “God’s Word says it.  I believe it.  That settles it.”  We wanted certainty in what we believed.  We generally believed that uncertainty meant that somewhere we had failed to believe God’s Word and therefore we were shrouded in uncertainty.  If we doubted we managed to press ourselves into believing and having it settled.  Then the children of the boomer generation grew up and a lot of them have said openly “I have doubts.”  Every generation does have its doubts, but I think many of us who were in Evangelical “Bible-based” churches tried to hide our doubts.  We struggled to believe in a Bible-based way and we looked to what our fellow Bible-believing Christians around us believed and kept our doubts to ourselves.  So when I read a millennial speaking of their difficulty with the church, especially that portion known as Evangelical I can relate, even though I know that I will no more be able to think like a millennial than I can think like some of my friends from a Hispanic background.  We were shaped by different experiences, mindsets, histories, etc.  We share though the common struggles of humanity that affect every generation, every nation, every gender, every group mainstream or fringe.

            In my blog in response to Rachel Held Evans’ article I especially dealt with how the millennial generation has a different point of perspective on the culture war issues.  My generation was one which responded to our nation giving less credence to the authority of Christianity than in many previous generations.  My generation felt that removing ourselves from recognizing God’s authority over our nation would lead to disastrous consequences.  Maybe it did or didn’t but the children of my generation recognizes the move away from a recognized authority of Christianity is a done deal.  Whether they are Christians personally or not, their nation is a democracy where there is no special authority granted to any church or religion.  That is a done deal and so the best thing for the Christian to do is to get over the culture wars and start showing God’s love to men and women from every background and with every lifestyle imaginable and accept that the days of Christianity being instituted by legislation are over.  Many of the millennial generation would add to those days being over their hearty Amen if they were of the sort to say “Amen” to truths they held dear.

            I would like to interact with a blog by Kate Schell in a similar manner as I did with Rachel Held Evans’ blog.  I have read a few blogs by KS and have found they give me much to think about.  The ones I have read have revealed someone who in some ways feels betrayed by the tradition in which she grew up.  The first blogs I read by Kate were blogs that told how she was taught a dating perspective that basically told women to guard their hearts in purity until they met the right person.  That purity went far beyond a simple chaste life, but was basically a commitment to not date anyone until you met that right one.  She shared that in a car with a driver’s education teacher when she was in high school.  The driver’s education teacher responded by saying that seemed wrong to her.  That instead of not getting to know guys and not going out on a date in high school, one should understand that if it is not a time to get serious with some sort of marriage plans it was a time for beginning to learn how to socialize guys with gals, etc.  As she grew older, Kate Schell became convinced that she had been taught a bogus view of purity that had in its perspective that women couldn’t be trusted with relationships because they were overly emotional and so they were simply to go from one father authority figure to a husband authority figure, but by no means let them get to know someone outside of those relationships.  There was a sense of betrayal.  I found myself appreciating that perspective having in my early days as a Christian learned to associate the Biblical word “lust” with basically any feeling of attraction I might have had towards a woman.  One reads about some of the hermits whose perspectives on women were anything but normal.  There is a vast difference from seeing a woman as beautiful and then turning her into an object to view as a mere accessory to one’s own sexual appetites.  There is a vast distinction between appreciating and recognizing a woman’s attractiveness whether of a physical, intellectual, or spiritual nature and lusting after her.  I began my journey in the faith as a kid moving from high school to college with an understanding of lust and attraction being virtually indistinguishable.  I did not experience the same exact difficulties that Kate Schell faced due to the purity teaching she had been taught, but this sort of hyper-teachings on purity and putting away lust interfered with our normal development of relationships.  When someone comes to their senses after having their lives impacted by such teaching, there is a sense of felt betrayal.  I would hasten to add that in my instance I was a young guy attracted to a sort of holier than thou experience, so perhaps I was less a victim of others and more a victim of my own tendencies towards fanaticism.  I really did not need a lot of help to be a basket case.

Her blogs on how she felt she had been misguided on how best to achieve purity were the first blogs I read by her.  I found the things she had to say to be worth considering.  A lot of Christian parents wanted to make sure their children grew up desiring to live within the biblical guidelines for Christians in relationship to sexuality.  Then somehow the goal of keeping pure became a goal separated from learning to have relationships and friendships with a variety of human beings.  The goal of purity became misguided into an obsession with the danger of sexuality.  The goal of Christian parents and Christian teachers should not be to have your kids obsessed with the dangers of lust or sexuality, but to have them trained to desire good relationships with others while honoring God in our so doing.  That was how I first discovered that there was something she had to say that resonated with me.  But that is my introduction to Kate Schell the blogger.  It is another blog, written by her, that I am considering in this blog.  It is her blog on Millenials and Adam’s Missing Rib by Kate Schell.  You can read her blog and explore her blog site if you wish.  The only negative is that after reading her blogs you may lose any interest you have in reading mine.

Kate Schell describes in her blog how the Bible describes how Adam was formed from the dust and then Eve was formed from a rib that God took from Adam.  As she grew up she was taught that men have one less rib (or pair of ribs) than women because God removed one from Adam when creating Eve.  It was one of those things that struck a child as sort of cool.  It seemed in some way to seemingly give proof of the Biblical creation account.  I like Kate Schell’s showing how little that would mean even if men had one less rib or pair of ribs than women.  She says for that to prove anything about the creation account would be similar to us reasoning, “Which is about as logical as saying, “Look, there’s some dirt, just like Adam was made from!  The Bible must be true, because dust!”  But worse than that Kate discovered, or realized, after she was out of college that men and women both have the same amount of ribs.  The story she had heard in a sermon, or vacation bible school had not been true or factual at all.  Someone taught it as true, and then afterwards it was passed on along as true by countless people until it was taught to a group of young people as a proof of creationism.  Before she wrote her article about this she began tweeting others to see if they had experienced such teaching in their youth.  She would have liked to have believed that her situation was extraordinary.  But she heard back from Evangelicals, Catholics, and Pentecostals that they had learned this growing up.

This sort of experience leads someone to wonder how much or how little everything else taught regarding science by one’s religious community was just as erroneous as this one mythical lesser male rib.

A lot of millennial generation young adults are struggling with how to square what they have learned about creation from Christian sources from what is taught in science.  If creationism is true then its truth is obviously not in the long run well served by easily discoverable falsehoods taught to children.  One of the problems with my generation is that very often we sought comfort in Christians setting forth creationist proofs and did not care to do due diligence if the Christian arguments for creationism were true to both Scriptural and scientific scrutiny.  Part of what Kate Schell argues for is that when someone has doubts about such matters, don’t treat them immediately as an apostate.  Secondly should churches be afraid to discuss some varied perspectives regarding how an understanding of the world based on science and based on Scriptures is to be interrelated.  I suspect that for a large number within my own generation, and I certainly was this way at times, it was enough for us that we had a Scripture text that told us the Bible said this, and we decided to believe it, and that settled it.  But did we really want to have such sure certified belief systems upset by testing whether or not these things were so?  Once we felt convinced in our beliefs we wanted to do nothing that might upset the sort of certainty we had obtained.

I had gone through a process similar to what Kate had gone through with the missing rib.  I wasn’t raised in a particularly Christian home.  I was probably past ten before I ever attended a religious service with the exception of a wedding.  On Sunday mornings I went with my father to the little greasy spoon diner while the people needing religion went to church.  After I became a Christian I considered creationism and accepted it as fact.  I tried to convince others of creationism.  I believed that it was the proverbial slippery slope for anyone to imagine that the days in Genesis might have been figurative days rather than literal twenty-four hour days.  I had a similar experience to Kate Schell’s learning that men and women have the same amount of ribs.  I had read once that Hebrew during the time of the writing of Genesis did not have a figurative use of days like when St. Peter describes how a thousand years is as a day to God.  (II Peter 3:8)   The creationist tried to make an argument that the people of Moses’ time did not think of God and days in that way.  I was modern enough in my thinking that I thought of that sort of argument “Are you sure?”  Then one day I read the 90th Psalm where the Psalmist prays to God and says “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.”  (Psalm 90:4)  This verse was likely the passage to which St. Peter had been referring when he wrote to the early Christians in II Peter.  There was one more astounding thing about the 90th Psalm.  It was not one of David’s Psalms.  The Scripture texts describe the 90th Psalm as “a prayer of Moses, the man of God.”  So either the writer declaring that the Hebrews did not have a figurative sense of understanding for day in the time of Moses was wrong, or the Scriptures were wrong to present Moses as the man praying this Psalm.

I began to wonder if perhaps it would be within the scope of possible understandings of the Scripture that God’s days in the creation of the world were figurative rather than literal days.  I can’t say one way or the other.  I will not say that God didn’t create the universe in six literal twenty-four hour days.  He could have done a number of things that the man or woman of science hasn’t calculated in their presuppositions about the creation of the universe.  I am not a very well informed man when it comes to science, but it does seem to me to be an incredible perspective to declare with a sense of certainty that the world is exactly some 14 billion years old and we have it all figured out.  Then there is the creationist who is saying these had to be six twenty-four hour days, because primitive man was too primitive to think of the days of creation as being figurative days representing God’s days of creation rather than literal twenty-four hour days.  I then wonder, how can either of you be sure?  Then I read Job 38 and God speaks to Job and his friends out of the whirlwind and asks them to tell God how God created the heavens and the earth, asking them to explain the details to him.  I wait in vain for Job or his friends to say, “I read in Genesis, that two page account of creation and now I can tell you exactly how it was all done, you’ll be impressed God.”  No, neither Job nor his friends give an exhausting volume of information regarding how God created the universe.  Instead they are silent.  They know that the creation is a mystery.  They know that the important thing to be understood about God from the Bible’s creation account is that God has created us therefore we have a responsibility to honor and give him thanks.  The Bible’s creation account is not first and foremost a description of the way in which God created the universe, but rather a revelation by which we may draw near and come to know God.  As the New Testament teaches, “By their fruit you shall know them.”  How do we know God?  We know God first and foremost because he created us and the entire universe.  We know him because through the creation he has made his invisible attributes to be known for the creation is the fruit by which we first come to know God.  It is a creation beyond our ability to fully comprehend, understand, and explain.  I am convinced that whether creationist or evolutionist the one who sets out to show a complete understanding of the phenomenon only shows himself to be either naïve or arrogant to believe he has it all figured out.

I took some solace in discovering that some of the church fathers taught a figurative rather than a twenty-four hour day creation within Genesis.  St. Augustine and St. Clement of Alexandria were among those who understood the days of Genesis one figuratively.  These were both considered great men of the faith within Christian history.  That doesn’t mean necessarily that they were right, but others in the ancient church did not treat them as heretics for their opinions on Genesis.  In American history, one of the most important writers to establish the idea of the inerrancy of Scripture was the nineteenth century Princeton University theologian B.B. Warfield.  Warfield believed in the creation account of Genesis but felt that evolution could be treated as something which happened within the six days of creation, within a Christian understanding of creation.  These were the sort of men who were regarded as men who loved the Scriptures, who desired to have their minds, hearts, and souls guided by Scripture, and were not to be accused of taking the Scriptures too lightly.  Yet, each of these Christian men in their own way accepted the possibility of a figurative use of the “days” found in the Genesis account of creation.

I find my own experience resonating with what Kate Schell describes in her blog.  I do not have the answer as to whether the creation account described in Genesis is the description of six twenty-four hour days of creation; or if this creation account may well describe something which were God’s six days of creation, rather than necessarily man’s understanding of days.  If God asks me to choose one and confess it before the world, I will simply reply. “You know O’ Lord, and in that I am confident, in my own answers I am not confident.”  It does seem to me that those involved in the debate between “Science” and “the Bible” are seldom willing to have their positions questioned or perhaps modified.  The evolutionist arguing for his billions of years surely is not willing to say that he has proven every hypothesis and every assumption and every presupposition involved in his perspective.  In light of God’s asking of Job to describe how God created the world, I must ask my fellow Christians if they really believe that from two pages of Scripture they can deduce the exact manner of how God literally created the universe in six twenty-four hour days.  Do we really believe that there is no room for discussion of such things?  Can there be no room for attempts to reintegrate faith and science in a meaningful world view?

The Bible gives us truth expressed as the Book of Hebrews says in many ways and forms, once for all time.  We cannot change what is written, but the man and woman of faith cannot ever imagine exhausting it as a source of wisdom for dealing with the understanding of life whether in matters of simplicity of complexity.  In our understanding of the Scriptures we recognize that at times the Bible is speaking very literally and at times it is pointing to realities that man can never fully comprehend and is giving us more a sense of such realities rather than a scientific description of these realities.  Science on the other hand, has never given humanity once and for all time answers.  Scientific explanations are at their best, the best attempted constructed description of how the universe works or can be explained based on the evidence understood by us in a singular moment of time.  For example we may look at Darwin today and acknowledge that much of the world as science understands it was built on understandings expressed by Darwin.  But we may well ask if his view, which in part was built on the simplicity of the single cell, must be explained in a whole new way when a molecular biologist sees the forms of DNA expressed not in a single simplistic cell, but in a single cell of nearly infinite complexity.  Would a modern Darwin take a view of the simple cell and determine that everything evolved from the simplicity of cells mutating, or would a modern Darwin faced with a mechanistic world view that explained everything there is to explain without any Deity, look upon the complexity of a single cell and say with an astonished soul, “I will praise thee for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works and that my soul knows right well.” (Psalm 139:14)

The great confession of Christendom is that Christ Jesus became a human being that he might redeem humanity and bring man to God, Christ himself being fully God as well as fully man.  The way we answer how religion and science is to relate to one another will create a course for us in how we determine what it is to be human beings.  Are we to squelch the sense of faith and the searching of the Scriptures each time a scientific study shows reason to doubt a phrase of Holy Scripture?  Are we to use the Scriptures to squelch our human observation of the creation, our inquisitive natures that want to know how, why, and to what end?  I suspect that we are at a crossroads, almost always, in every generation.  If we squelch the Scriptures and they are truly the word of God that points us to mankind’s redeemer then to what end will our lives flounder?  Yet also, if a human being has an inquisitive mind, yearns to understand the ways of the universe and is kept by a minimalistic view of the Scriptures from following the inquisitiveness of his own mind in seeking to observe and understand nature then what part of his humanity has been lost to a restrictive Christianity that seeks safety rather than the exploration of creation?  In the end I suspect it is more necessary than ever when a human being fears that his study of nature will upset his understanding of faith, for that person to pray diligently and say “Lord teach me thy way, but I cannot let fear of the unknown dissuade me from believing that when I go into the unknown thou wilt be there.”  To such a soul seeking to go forward into uncharted territories we ought to offer our blessings, to covenant to uphold them in our prayers, and to assure them that we as well as the Lord are for them and not against them, and yet we would be amiss if we did not also urge them to go forward in caution and carefulness for there are truly dangers in the unknown so move forward only as you can and must.

In the early 1980’s there was a movie by a Christian writer and director, the name of the movie was “Mosquito Coast.”  It told the story of a family headed by a man of reason and science, played by Harrison Ford who was in his own way as foolish of a fanatic as ever lived.  He proved obstinate in his way forward and each time his way was blocked he seemed to pull in the safety net of his faith in science and reason a little tighter until his entire family suffered in the little world remaining after his trust in science and reason faltered against the stresses of life.  He became a tyrant.  He declared that the world as they had once known it was now gone.  He alone could guide them with his science and reason.  He was crushing his family with each new decision but always he moved in one direction, saying blindly and obstinately, “We must go upstream, fighting all the way.”  It has been quite a while since I saw the movie.  That is how I recall him commanding his family’s venture.  Finally wounded and dying and then dead the family let their raft float downstream into the sea until a broad horizon stood open for them to see.  The vast ocean before them seemed filled with hope and opportunities, that the narrow perspective had earlier denied to them.  It was no longer a world restricted and constricted by a man’s understanding, logic, and self-limiting propositions.  It was a world where the ocean was vast, the shoreline filled with beauty, the sun shining brightly; a world to be explored.  That is the world we must set before our newest Christian adults.  It is a world filled with mystery, understood in bits and pieces, never in the whole.  If a millennial feels they have questions are we not to say, “of course you do, what sort of mind would live in this universe and not have questions?”

If I have a vision to share with those of my younger brothers and sisters in Christ in the millennium generation it is to ask you to forgive us where our weaknesses have hindered you.  We have made our share of errors and sins to be sure.  You will do well to forgive us for those failures and even beyond forgiving us, humor us by sharing with us your journey in the faith for a short time.  We are growing old, we have failed much, we have been faithful a little, and soon it will be our time to go the way of men into the ages.  Humor us a bit as we journey together.  We will tell some old stories, some of which you will quickly tire and others which you will save to tell your own children.  Forgive us that we sometimes don’t understand the world into which you are now entering as adults.  That is why we don’t understand the questions you are asking.  But I ponder this, my young millennial brother and sister.  God is giving you the questions to ask in your times of struggle and trial and temptation because he is preparing you for the generation for which you have been made to live and fill a space in time in the great plan of redemption being worked out through Christ in the church, the living redeemed bride of Christ.  That is the church from which you have fled and to which you have returned; which bruised you because of mistakes by men and women in her midst, and heals you because there is in this church a Savior and a Comforter and a Father who have loved you from before the foundation of the world.  It is you who will receive the baton and carry out the word to a world filled with people needing what you have to give.  Are you up to that calling?  Of course not, but it is the weakness of human flesh that he uses to accomplish his purposes.  While you are licking your wounds wondering how the church ever got into the shambles in which it is now; I am rejoicing because you are being given the questions to ponder so as to find some of the answers which will prepare you to give to the men and women of your generation the very answers they need to hear.  You are being prepared for your work in your day.  It is thus not so bad for me in my old age to know I am soon to depart for I know another generation is here, being prepared to carry on.  You see when I was young I asked questions like you do today, only they were the questions my generation were asking.  My questions were for my generation, your questions are for your generation, but we are part of a humanity and a history of redemption that spans the ages from one generation to another to eternity.  If you have suffered and despaired, perhaps it has been to bring you to ask the questions for the generation among whom you are meant to shine.  Just remember this as you struggle in the darkness sometimes despairing, the day and night are both alike to him, and as you venture into the world you explore there is nowhere to be found where he is not to be found and discovered.  For long ago, in the far country where the prodigal had gone, came the Son to find and seek that which had been lost.  So now however far you find yourself to have gone from home, your eldest brother has come to find you and stand with you.  You may have become at some point the prodigal, but unlike the story in Luke 15 our elder brother is one who has sought you like the lost lamb, the lost coin, the lost brother or sister.  Remember in your doubts, the strange reality of mercy that reaches out to you no matter how deep your despair and troubled soul may momentarily imagine your plight to be.

No comments: