Monday, March 16, 2015

Signs, Wonders, and Jobs


Signs, Wonders, and Jobs.

Written by Dan McDonald

 

            Recently I was talking with a younger person about their looking to the Lord for a change in life direction. The person was thinking of trying to find a different job, a different location to live, maybe even a change of cities. Their desire was to seek and to do the will of God. I thought of how on a couple of occasions I had been in such a situation and how on two occasions God seemed to lead me in very different ways. So I am reluctant to put God in a box and tell the person how God will lead on this occasion but I thought the differences between these two times of my seeking God regarding potential job changes might be the sort of testimony that might encourage someone going through such a season at this time.

            I grew up in a family that did not attend church. We really had no determined viewpoint about religion or belief in God. It was neither agnosticism nor atheism that caused us not to go to church. It was simply that our family lifestyle treated religion pretty much as irrelevant to everyday living. My dad was certainly a diligent worker, a provider for his family, a friend to those in the community and he took things in stride whether hardships or blessings. He was in many ways a stoic with a firm set of moral principles. Late in my high school years I began to seek to see if there was a God and by my early years in college I had become a committed believer in Christ. During my college years I studied history as my major and philosophy as a minor and decided when I graduated I would go on to seminary and study theology. But by my senior year in college I was not at all sure about my intended course.

            By that time I was tired of school. I had been going to school for sixteen years and hardly knew anything about life outside of school. I wondered if three more years of school would actually prepare me for the pastoral ministry I imagined myself doing one day. Also my time in Christian groups had been spent almost completely within college groups where the range of humanity was from the age of eighteen to the age of twenty-four. I began to believe I needed to simply be a member of a church with people from the point of being carried in the womb to people being helped in their old age. If I was to be called to the ministry then I would be called to be a member of a church with people of all ages, and I would be called to understand their working lives in blessing and poverty. I decided I needed to get a job, join a church, live in the working class world and then maybe later consider seminary.

            I was living in the Bloomington-Normal area in central Illinois. I started looking for a factory job. I noticed this one factory next to a blue water tower. This thought popped into my mind that I would work there. I thought that was a crazy thought. I drove around putting applications into a number of other places with my application being accepted politely but with little indication that I would be seriously considered. Finally I went to the factory next to the water tower. I filled out my application. As for job experience I had worked one summer in a factory operating a punch press but had done no set ups. The personnel employee looked over my application I gave her without much encouragement and then suddenly she said to someone in the next office, here is an applicant with punch press experience. The voice from the next office said “Send him in.” A moment later I was talking to the plant manager and when the conversation ended he said, “Will you be available for work Monday morning at seven?”

            At that point in my life the whole sensation of having that strange thought that I would work in the factory next to the water tower was a wonderful confirmation to me that this was where God wanted me at this point in time in my life.

            Several years later I had a very different experience. By this time I was living in Oklahoma, where I have lived now for most of my life. I was going through something of a difficult time. I had moved to Oklahoma during oil boom years and was now surviving in oil bust years, working a job doing contract labor with low wages and few benefits. One could live from paycheck to paycheck but it was a no frills life. I was discouraged but was appreciative of my church. I had put in an application for a job at a factory in a town quite a ways away from where I was living. The factory paid good wages and had a good benefits package. After I put the application in, more than a year passed and I had pretty much forgotten about it. Then one day I was called and asked if I would come in for an interview and if the interview went as expected I would probably be hired. I was excited about the possibility. But I wasn’t really ready to leave my church.

            I prayed and asked God to show me what I was supposed to do. I looked over Philippians 4:6-7. I was praying and asking God for direction when I noticed that the promise was not that God would lead me each and every time to make the decision for me, but that as I sought him and submitted myself to him that he would guard me in Christ. It was a moment when instead of being encouraged to make this decision or that decision that God’s promise seemed to be that he would guard me regardless of what decision I made. I felt a sense of there being freedom in Christ. I didn’t have to feel that the whole future of my Christian life would be determined on the basis of my making the absolute best choice in taking or not taking the job being offered to me. I could not know the future of what my decision would bring about, but I could rest assured that God’s decision to guard me in Christ was settled. It was a lesson that has encouraged me often. I decided to stay where I was because I was in a church where the people around me knew me. I felt like I needed that more at the time than I needed a job with good wages and benefits. Bachelors can make such decisions. I asked for guidance about what I should do concerning a job. But God chose instead to imply that it didn’t matter so much as my understanding that he was with me in Christ through thick and thin.

            I still pray for direction, but these days I don’t think the future of the world depends on the decisions I make so much as the decision which God made when he set his love upon us in Christ Jesus. So pray about your job situations, and then know that no matter what is before us that we can never foresee; God has determined to guard us in Christ Jesus. “So be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” –Philippians 4:6-7

 

No comments: