Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Black Lives Matter - my take


#BlackLivesMatter

For what it matters – my take on it

 

            The hashtag #blacklivesmatter has become both popular and controversial this year. I am writing this blog to try to present my take on it. I suppose that how one feels about this hashtag will largely reflect their history, perspective, hopes, dreams, and fears. I believe African Americans often wonder how much their lives mean to other Americans. If we view the hashtag #blacklivesmatter as an answer to a question being posed to Americans by many in the black community we will begin to understand why #blacklivesmatter as an answer cannot be replaced by #alllivesmatter. For the question we are being asked to consider is whether black lives matter within our pursuit of life, especially if we are white Americans who have more stereotypes about blacks than we have contact with blacks. I am embarrassed about some elements of my past dealings with African Americans. I mention them because I believe that others might see more of themselves in my confessions than will be comfortable to admit. While there might be necessary political aspects to bettering our society, I believe that for many of us the harder and more effective work of healing racial divisions will be to simply give ourselves room to develop friendships one person to another that cross the divides of race and ethnicity.

            I was raised in the North, in a rural area in a north central region of Illinois. I lived in one of those areas where when you drove near where I lived you saw corn, soybeans, cattle, hogs, and white folk. There weren’t many people of color near where I lived. We didn’t imagine we were racist. We thought that was a Southern problem. We also didn’t know, or didn’t choose to know, why the rich farmland across the Midwest seemed always to be settled by white folk. We seemed to have no clue that once upon a time the laws of the land were written or enforced, or both to favor the building of a European based civilization in North America. I don’t want so much to rehash our national history, but it is important to realize that white and black histories in America have been very different and have shaped black experiences and perspectives different than our white perspectives were shaped. There has been a deeply rooted sense that the wonderful liberties and opportunities this nation has offered have almost always been designed first for whites and the leftovers fell to others. Maybe as a nation we have sought to address these issues. Maybe as individuals we believe we support equality and have embraced the ideal. But what I have discovered in decades of seeking to live a Christian life is that there is something very different about embracing an ideal and living out an ideal in everyday life and practice. The ideals we embrace in our minds mean less to others than the practice of life we live in everyday relationships.


            Here are a couple of times in my life where I discovered that my ways of dealing with my black brothers and sisters needed some drastic changing. There was a time when I worked during the day and went to school, taking German in the evening. I was trying to study German for a couple of reasons. I suppose partly because I had a grandmother, whom I never met, who was born in Germany. But also I thought I might go to seminary or to study History especially of the Reformation, and German was one of the great languages for Reformation studies. As it turned out I lacked the discipline and had too much timidity to do well in a language. Timidity holds you back in learning a language. You learn to converse with others in a new language by conversing. There is no substitute. The more you are willing to just do it, even if you make some occasional mistakes, the more quickly you will learn to converse in a language. Those of us who won’t enter conversations because we fear we might make a mistake usually never build the courage to enter those conversations and so we never learn to speak the other person’s language. There might be some application to building relationships with those of other races and ethnicities.

            At the time I was doing this a young black person asked me if I could teach him German. I resisted the idea only partly because I did not follow qualified to teach the language or because of my fear of doing it wrongly. Too much of my thinking, though I couldn’t face up to it at the time was because a black person studying German was simply outside of my accepted stereotypes.

            It was years later before another black whom I worked with, with whom I had never shared this told me of his growing up with parents who taught in the black segregated schools before Oklahoma’s schools became integrated. He did not wish for a return to segregation but he told of something that happened to many black students once integration began. His mother was a Latin teacher in the segregated schools. How do you think she responded if a black student in her class complained he couldn’t learn Latin? She would never have accepted it. She believed in her black students’ potentials. Then as schools were integrated and white teachers began teaching black students Latin, how many of these students were held back by the sort of stereotype I had where I had not thought of a young black man wanting to learn German. There are so many ways that our inherent racism expresses itself. But stereotypes generally rule our conduct when we think of people in categories rather than knowing them as individuals.

            A second event made me understand my difficulty with stereotyping even more than the first instance I mentioned. I was at a convenience store. It was not in a location where many African Americans shopped at the store. I was in the store after working an evening shift, maybe around 11 at night or so. Four young African Americans come into the store. My stereotyping, that I really wasn’t aware of until that evening took over. My first thought was I wondered if there was going to be any problem. I perhaps appeared nervous, because one of the young men did something that probably changed my life. He said in a quiet voice, “Good evening sir.” That is when I noticed that these four young men were dressed nicely and acted politely. If four young white kids making lots of noise had entered the store I would have passed it off as that’s young people. But I actually found myself nervous when four polite young black men came in because their vehicle needed gasoline and they could use a snack. That was when I realized I had a problem with stereotyping people.

            So here I am in the year 2015 and there is a crisis in the ways African Americans feel in the country where they were born and have lived, many of them with ancestry paralleling my ancestry’s length of time in this nation, and most of their ancestry predating the arrival of much of my ancestry to America. These are people whose ancestry has been in America for more than two hundred years and they still have to wonder if others think their lives matter. As I sense it, the hashtag #blacklivesmatter does not mean to indicate that white lives or other lives don’t matter. The hashtag is simply meant to declare whether we understand it or not black lives do matter.

            The hashtag is an answer to a question. It is the question that many among our black brothers, sisters, and neighbors are wondering. They are wondering and wanting to know, “Do you think black lives matter? If our answer is to switch the subject and counter reply “All lives matter” then they have reason to believe that we are continuing to hide behind our clichés of hypothetical equality. But that leaves one final question for those of us who are white to answer. “Why do we have such a difficult time saying the simple sentence … “Black lives matter”? Do not let these words be so repugnant to you that you cannot affirm the simple sentence “Black lives matter.”

No comments: