Saturday, September 19, 2015

Indebted prayers for Sarah Thebarge


Indebted Prayers

For Sarah Thebarge

            I feel as though I owe Sarah Thebarge so much for the blessing she has been to me in the last couple of years through her writings. I have never met her but I have felt as if through her life as well as her words God has spoken to me of a Christian life that is more deeply to be experienced than I have hitherto recognized it to be. In this blog I want to do a couple of things. I want to give thanks for Sarah by telling you how much her life and writing has meant to me. Secondly I hope to get people to pray for her as she has come down with malaria while serving at a medical facility in the West African nation of Togo.

            I remember the first time I read something by Sarah was an interesting blog on the church and how we might do church better. She used the story of the building of the Golden Gate Bridge as a metaphor. The first color decided upon when engineers planned on building the bridge was “not blue” but “not blue” was not a color; so the blog drove home the point of “not blue is not a color”. When Christians think about doing church better we usually begin with what we don’t want. I loved the piece because she turned a negative into a positive, a complaint into a consideration. I was and remain someone who is pretty conservative but listens to progressives and I thought from reading her that though she identified as a progressive, her Christ was walking in the midst of people throughout the earth. The more I have followed her writing and the things she has shared, the more I have seen that she serves Christ without letting the ideological wars keep her from focusing on being God’s instrument to be a person embodied for the purpose of sharing the love of God set forth in Jesus Christ.

            I read a couple of more blogs by Sarah and I knew I wanted to read her book with the title The Invisible Girls.


 

            I struggle as a reader. I fall asleep easily for a plethora of reasons including type II diabetes, not going to bed soon enough, getting up too soon, etc. If I sit down I can easily begin to nod off. If I start to read a book I can start snoring. So usually when I read a book it is a few pages at a time until I plod my way through it. Sarah’s book remains to this day the only book of more than a few pages that I began one evening and read to the very last page before I went to bed. The only disappointing thing about the book was that when you reached the end, you wanted more pages of this wonderful book. It was more than a good story. Her story was the expression of her having felt like an invisible girl that people no longer saw when she had a bout with cancer. Then she discovered a family of invisible girls while riding on a metro train in Portland, Oregon. The story was about how her recovery from cancer became intertwined with the discovery of the invisible girls she met on that train. Not only was it a story that held my attention; it was a story that took hold of my heart in my life situation. For days after I read the book I found myself feeling a sense of how each person I saw was a sort of invisible person going through something that hardly anyone around them noticed. Maybe just a little bit of the story of Sarah’s memoir had wormed itself into my heart so that some of the essence of her story was coming alive in my heart. I could only be thankful, for truly before that time I had gotten to a point in life where I was going through the motions.

            I followed her as she moved from Portland to California and I got the sense that part of that time she was struggling for direction, not necessarily in a hopeless way, but in a way that there was more out there for her than to work in a California medical facility, have speaking gigs, and write. Then she went to Togo. It was in Togo that her writing and experiences seemed again to speak to me. She wrote a heartbreaking story of watching a patient die of tuberculosis, someone who might have died had the facility had all the proper medication supplies and medical instruments, but who didn’t even have a fighting chance without those supplies and instruments which the facility in Togo didn’t have. It was a heartbreaking story you can read here. In recent months I have been struggling in my work. I will turn 60 next month and my goal is not so much to retire in the future but to move towards a new chapter in my life, that works better for a person than my present work will in my senior years. It is still a ways off before any changes take place. But when I read this blog it seemed as if for the first time in all my questioning of what to do next I felt that there is such a need to tell people about how there are patients dying because medical facilities don’t have the supplies and equipment that we in the industrialized world take for granted. Don’t you think we ought to be seeing what we can do about that? I want Sarah and the physicians, physician Assistants, and nurses of this world not to have to watch someone die because they only have two of three needed medicines and can’t transport someone to a better facility because they lack a portable oxygen machine. I realized I want eventually in God’s timing to work at helping provide solutions for these kinds of problems.

            The most recent news from Sarah, to her readers, is that she has come down with malaria. She told the story with humor. You can read the most recent blogs at http://sarahthebarge.com/blog/ especially the posts about “Malarious” and “to get to you”. I think you will then be hooked on her writings. But mostly right now I hope you will join me in praying for this lady’s recovery so that her life might continue to encourage and give birth to compassion in the hearts of those of us who are touched by her life of caring.

Image result for images Sarah Thebarge

 

            And Sarah, may you get well very soon. You are making a difference.

No comments: