Monday, February 17, 2014

Dialogue with the Movie "Downfall" -Part Two- Historie and Geschichte


Dialogue with the Movie “Downfall”

Part Two:  “Historie” and “Geschichte”

Written by Dan McDonald

 

Keywords for today’s blog:

Historie – All the stuff that happened from creation and big bang to the socks you wore today.  I mean everything, yes that too!!

Geschichte – The story and the stories we hear and tell to make sense of the everything existing in Historie.

 

            Most of us once upon a time History majors learned at some time how the German language has two different words pointing to different aspects of studying history.  There is “Historie” which is said much like our word “history” with a slightly stronger long e sound in German and there is Geschichte.  I have seen some attempts by some conservative American Christian writers to describe how the German concept is problematic.  But I have always thought the distinction between Historie and Geschichte is a very useful distinction.  I could readily see how the creators of “Downfall” understood and made use of these distinctions.

            In modern German usage “Historie” refers to the past as it was.  If I speak of the year 2013 as a year in “Historie”, then the scope of what I refer to is every event fitting within the boundaries of the year 2013.  It would include the death of former major league baseball player, Stan the Man Musial, and also what socks I wore on July 8, 2013.  It would also include a dirt clod that was washed by the rain into the Mississippi River near New Boston, Illinois.  When you think of “Historie” in this sense it is just too big for any of us to understand.  Most of us believe that history has something to teach us.  Nevertheless in any given time period the number of events of the period far outnumber the events we are able to set forth as having important value for us to consider.  The German word “Geschichte” has a different meaning from the German word “Historie”.  “Geschichte” is applied to the study of history but it can also mean the study of literature.  It basically means “story.”  From the times of Moses and Herodotus until today, there have been people looking at the past and telling us the significance of the stories of history.  We have varied compilations of stories woven together to try to tell us the “Geschichte/story” of “Historie”.  Perhaps our human sense that history is important is rooted in our childhoods.  We were mesmerized as our parents told us those stories from their lives which somehow seemed to have importance for our lives.  We were connected from one generation to the next by the stories we shared.

I want to tell you about a story, a piece of Geshichte, my dad shared with me in my summer between high school and college.  I was a bit rebellious in those days.  I had a summer job for a local farmer cutting weeds out of his soybean field.  There were several of us that worked in the field.  The night before I was supposed to get up and work in this field, there was a big event in our town known as the Polish picnic.  There was lots of polkas, music, and beer and very little checking of identifications or ages when somebody went to a tent to get a brew.  I got home somehow after the picnic was over, but the next morning I was kneeling before the ceramic throne sacrificing heave offerings.  It wasn’t the sort of thing you could hide and when I came out and told my dad “I think I’m sick” he said, “I’ll bet you went to the Polish Picnic last night.”  I answered “yeah.”  He said, “You’re supposed to walk beans this morning you know?”  I said, “yeah I know, I don’t think I’m going.”  He answered me saying, “Yes you are.  I got drunk plenty of times when I was younger, but never missed a day of work because of it.  Hank and I used to stand over the batch at the glass factory and throw up.  But we never missed work.  So today when you go to work you maybe will want to think how often you want to get drunk the night before you go to work.” My dad was being selective in regards to the “Historie” that had taken place surrounding his life.  He was drawing one small item of “Geschichte” to help enlighten his drunken son’s journey through life.  To be honest I did something I never told my Dad.  I went to the soybean field where the others were working and I told the farmer’s son who was recording the times we worked that I wasn’t working that day but not to tell my Dad.  I then sprawled my carcass across the soil between the soybean rows and threw up a few times, sobered up under a hot summer sun, and I think got wasted only one more time in the forty odd years since that morning after the Polish picnic.  Somehow though I never knew Hank I still have an image of Hank and my dad when he was young throwing up into the batch at a glass factory.  There was on that day a sort of connecting my life to their lives through the story of history as told by my Dad.

The professional historian, like anyone who uses knowledge more formally distinguishes “Historie” and “Geschichte”.  A paragraph written by the Austrian economist Ludwig Von Mises, captures how what we know about a field of knowledge is never more than a pittance of what there is to be known.  So the professional in a field of knowledge must bring what he does know together even though he can never be all knowing.  Von Mises' description of Economics applies to history as well as he writes:

“Now it is quite obvious that our economic theory is not perfect.  There is no such thing as perfection in human knowledge, nor for that matter in any other human achievement.  Omniscience is denied to man.  The most elaborate theory that seems to satisfy completely our thirst for knowledge may one day be amended or supplanted by a new theory.  Science does not give us absolute and final certainty.  It only gives us assurance within the limits of our mental abilities and the prevailing state of scientific thought.  A scientific system is but one station in an endlessly progressing search for knowledge.  It is necessarily affected by the insufficiency inherent in every human effort.  But to acknowledge these facts does not mean that present day economics is backward.  It merely means that economics is a living thing – and to live implies both imperfection and change.[i]

            This is something the creators of “Downfall” understood about history.  People my age grew up on stories of World War II.  People in Germany in the last half of the Twentieth Century grew up also on stories of the war years.  Our American story tellers told the stories of the greatest generation or tried to tell the stories of the men who planted the flags of our fathers.  But Germans learned the stories of World War II from the perspective of “why” and the hollow non-answer to the question “and to what end.”  Many of them lived in a divided Germany where East met West with a barbed wire fence running down the middle of Germany symbolizing the possibility of a story like that of 99 red balloons would be followed by one survivor standing pretty over the dust where a city once stood.  German men and women growing into adulthood when I did looked back at their nation's story with a profound sense of a shared guilt.

            But today that generation that fought in or knew the horrors of that war from 1939 to 1945 are settling down into that rest as they return to dust and ashes.  Their stories about which my generation were always thinking and learning about are themselves likewise often returning to the graveyard of Historie.  My generation thought of World War II as the war fought by our fathers, uncles, the mailman, the farmer down the road.  A child growing up might only know a grandfather or great grandfather who has passed away, is in a nursing home, or has lost his ability to speak in full sentences.  In ten more years it will be a war thought of by children much like we thought of the Napoleonic wars.  The creators of “Downfall” have thought it important that we remember a generation’s story, the painful story of the German generation that lived during and with Adolph Hitler.  They wanted us to understand that even the monsters of their generation had human faces.  They wanted us to remember that many who were not villains failed to see that they were living lives in service to monsters.  They wanted us to know that something happened that ordinary people thinking they were serving their country with honor had to live the rest of their lives knowing that they served evil.  I think the makers of "Downfall" wanted to tell this story because many of that generation's dying hopes were that we would learn from their past faults to live a better present to avoid in our futures what they did in their past.  The creators of "Downfall" wanted to give Germany's generation of regret their voice while these stories were still fresh in the mind of the children who heard these grievous stories.  For these stories were part of our human story, whether we were German or some other race.  These who made this movie have given us the chance to not allow this Geschichte, this story to be buried in the ashes and dust of that vast unknowable forgotten place we call “Historie.”  For the truth is we know nothing of Historie.  We only know the Geschichte, the stories, preserved for us and told from one generation to the next.




[i] Ludwig Von Mises; Human Actions, Ludwig Von Mises Institute Publications, Auburn, Alabama 1998. P.7

No comments: