Thursday, March 13, 2014

In Honor of . . . John Armstrong


In Honor of those who have Influenced Me

John Armstrong

 

            One of the interesting questions we ask in life is “Who am I?”  Ultimately that question from the Christian perspective is probably too complex to answer.  It is too complex, from a Christian perspective, because we are created in God’s image.  So it would seem likely that trying to understand ourselves reflects the difficulty of trying to fully comprehend God who is incomprehensible.  We know in part but are known in full is the perspective that so often drives us along in our journeys of faith.  As a writer, even as a blogger I am learning more and more that part of my obligation as a writer is to give credit to thoughts taken from someone else.  As I write today I am writing with a realization that if my person were a written book I would need to put footnotes all over my person like tattoos.  One footnote would say “this is something my dad contributed me”.  Then another would cite my mother.  Today I am writing an article about how part of my life should have an acknowledgement to John Armstrong for helping me desire to be connected to more of the diversity among Christians found within Christ’s church.

            I have known John Armstrong for slightly over thirty years.  We had lost track of one another, but reconnected through Facebook last year.  I discovered he was into something called missional-ecumenism.  He had written a book on it entitled Your Church is too Small. (Recommended reading)   I wasn’t sure what to make of missional-ecumenism.  The more I read and listened to him the more he made sense.  Christ prayed for church unity, that we would be one in Christ. (John 17:11)  John believed that this was something important enough that Christians should be seeking to bring it about.  He is realistic.  He knows that we can’t just sweep every issue that divides Christians under the rug.  But there is a need for us to be looking to grow together in Christ, and a need to quit easily accepting the multitudes of divisions that exist in the world of Christendom.  I recently read that there are now more than 10,000 Christian denominations in the world.  You don’t need me to list the reasons we have divisions.  You can write your own list.  We shouldn’t be so ready to accept them.  Jesus prayed for our unity and not our disunity.

            Maybe we can’t solve all our divisions in one generation.  I think John has ideas on how we can move towards the eventual goal of Christian unity.  John has worked with numerous church leaders from various denominations to encourage a greater sense of solidarity and shared mission between churches with their share of differences.  As a layman, it is my intent to build relationships with more Christians from a varied and diverse background within the Christian world.  I desire to be growing in my pursuit of Christian unity alongside my other obligations in seeking to grow in grace as I grow in age.

Perhaps if we can’t envision church unity among the tens of thousands of Christian denominations, we can envision reaching out to a Christian with whom we disagree about something.  Perhaps it will mean simply trying to learn why we disagree.  We may be tempted to think the worst of a person, when it might prove helpful to think better of the person.  A woman on Twitter asked in an insightful Tweet, “Can we believe that the person who disagrees with us may not be stupid or evil, but has simply looked at all the same things we have and reached a different conclusion?”  If when Christians argued we would begin with that assumption, instead of believing there must be something wrong with them when they disagree, might that not help us in the way we deal with our differences?  If I understand John, he wants to see us develop healthy responses to our divisions rather than unhelpful responses.  We can’t simply get rid of 10,000 denominations overnight, because in virtually all those denominations someone’s life is being nourished within that expression of Christianity and Jesus is the one who does not wish to break the bruised reed dependent on the care a young or old believer has found in the place where he exists.  But still we yearn for becoming more connected to more of Christ’s church and not to less of it.

            I can happily express that some of the most satisfying relationships I have discovered in the last year have been with people with whom I did not imagine I had much in common.  I thought they were too much my opposite in matters of the Christian faith.  But as I followed them on Twitter, where I have made some friendships with people with whom I probably differed most, I would find for every tweet where we disagreed there would be several where we would agree.  Some of these tweets have proved to be genuine blessings that added something to my life that I would never have known except I was willing to listen for a change to someone I was tempted to think was too different from me for me to have any basis of fellowship.  But if another is attracted to the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, then we share an interest in Jesus Christ which makes discovery of our unity in Christ worth discovering and building upon.

            I close out my honoring of John Armstrong by linking you to a recent blog of his on the subject of dialogue and dogma.  I hope you will read this valuable part of his story where he looks from his Protestant perspective with what we all can learn from Pope Francis about how dialogue and dogma go together.


 

 

No comments: